Thursday, 8 November 2012

School Magazine: Contents Page General Research


I have decided to research contents pages of various different magazines which I hope will help me when designing my own contents page for the school magazine. I have chosen several contents pages, each with differing layouts and main features.


This contents page is rather good as it clearly shows the magazine features down the left hand side of the page as well as a image, which corresponds to one of the features, which are coded with page numbers. A review is also shown at the bottom of the page which insures the magazine has an additional feature. the layout is very simple, yet effective, with the colour scheme being mainly sliver and black, with a slight hint of red which stops the colour scheme from being too boring and uninteresting. I think I would probably use this layout for a school magazine as it is clear and concise, although I would have to make the colour scheme more interesting to grab pupils attention.



 This contents page is rather similar to the first one, however, the page is busier, and has the features, which are likewise page and colour coded, down the right hand side, not the left, which I prefer. There are also numerous images which correspond to some of the features and make the magazine look fuller and more interesting. The colour scheme still involves the grey, which I like, but I think the busier look will probably be more appropriate for the school magazine and more appealing to the target audience.  


This contents page, unlike the other two, have much more colour, which is apt considering it is actually for a fashion magazine. This contents page has the main image at the top of the page and a introductory column on the left hand side, which although I think is a nice touch, I do not think suitable for a school magazine. The features are much smaller on this contents page and although under clearer headings, I do not think are as clear. I do actually like this contents page as the images add a splash of colour to the otherwise dull colour scheme but I do not think it is as suitable for a school magazine, although I will keep it in mind when creating my contents page.


This contents page is extremely effective with the dark colour scheme and rather strong image which grabs the readers attention. The features, which are on the right hand side, are pretty small and slightly difficult to read. I do, however, like the idea that unlike the other contents pages, an image is the main focus which is extremely interesting and eye catching. This then means the magazine is interesting and also allows the contents page to show the main focus of the magazine. I think this is obviously an excellent technique for a fashion or music magazine, but I doubt this would be as effective with a school magazine, although I still like the minimalistic colour scheme that seems to be shown throughout my research.


 This contents page is probably my least favourite as although it looks professional, the white background is very uninspiring and leaves the page looking slightly bland. There is also unused space, such as in the left hand corner, which unlike the previous contents page, does not add to the overall effect. The features are still coded by page numbers which makes the features easy to find. I think this layout, however, would not suit a school magazine as it would not capture the pupils attention, it needs to have either an effective image or a brighter colour scheme.








No comments:

Post a Comment