In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
I created my music magazine through the use of forms and conventions of publishing media products to gain a real insight into the layout and conventions of a professional magazine. I carried out extensive research and planning when creating my magazine pages to gather an accurate idea of the magazine I wanted to create in terms of the target audience, the design, layout, colour schemes, fonts and features.
I began with the most important aspect of the whole magazine, the title. This is used to not only draw the attention of the reader, but additionally ensure the magazine is memorable.
I tried to use my font research to support my title decisions. I tried to relate my final title to some professional magazines such as 'NME' and 'Rolling Stone'. Most titles, as shown in my research, were bold and use vibrant colours with simplistic fonts to ensure the reader's attention is captured. I applied these design features to my own design in the hope that this would then ensure the title stands out and can therefore become successful when published. I did, however, contradict the usual forms and conventions of magazines in terms of the title position. Usually they are positioned by the model's head, either laying in front or behind. I decided to position my own title as the bottom of the page, just under the image as this ensured the model's head was not cut off by placing the title over the image, something which would have detracted from the image. This is also rather unique as is not a normal convention, meaning the magazine would be more memorable. I did ensure my title was in capital letters as this is something which is present in most magazine titles, to ensure the title was still bold. The clear red outline of the title as corresponded to the thick bold outline of the other titles, again ensuring the title grasps the target audiences attention. 

Next, I focused on the images used in the magazine, such as the use of props, sets and clothing as this is an important feature when conveying a certain mood of the magazine. I mainly used music props such as the use of a guitar, microphone along with the use of the set, present in my contents page image, and smoke. I used the music element of the guitar and microphone stand on the front page and the microphone around the model's neck on the double page spread to give the music element to the image and really emphasise that the product I am creating is a music magazine, as shown here in 'KERRANG'. I wanted to incorporate a 'live' feeling to my images, so took these in a concert scenario to ensure the model looked in the moment. I took these forms and conventions and developed this further, using a concert setting in my contents page for my main image. The use of the vibrant lights and staging ensured the whole page was striking, and again, reflected the musical element.
I also used very dark clothing on my models, such as the use of the dark leather jacket which contrast to the white t-shirt on the front page to really emphasise the coloured feature of the guitar This was again similar to the 'KERRANG' front page where the model is wearing a dark shirt. I continued this onto my double page spread where I used messy hair and striking makeup, similar to the Florence and the Machine DPS and my specific research, to ensure the image was striking. This also allowed the smoke used in the image to be visible in the shot as shown in my specific research although shot outside. This dark clothing contrasted clearly to the bright vibrancy of the font in my magazine.
I selected my models based on the generic forms and conventions of real media products as this feature adds to the overall successful presentation of real media products. I used a range of models, both male and female to ensure my magazine appealed to both genders. I selected a male model for the front page, similar to that of usual music magazines which I was aiming to recreate such as 'Q' and 'BILLBOARD'. I used the similar pose as to that of the model's featured on both 'KERRANG' front pages. The use of the guitar and the 'in the moment' pose really show this, hence why I selected these to base my own model on. 

I then shot my contents page images, challenging the normal forms and conventions of real media products as it proved difficult to find an actual image shot in a concert scenario which featured on a contents page as most were posed. I did find contents pages with images shot in a concert scenario, however, these were primarily focused the artist, something which I did not necessarily want as this was not the main feature of the contents page and was only used in a smaller image. Despite this, I continued to use these images to ensure the theme of music was evident from the contents page instead of the more 'posed' images which I did not necessarily want. I used multiple models in one shot as this was a clear convention of real publishing media products, as clearly visible in the 'BILLBOARD' contents page.
I again challenged the forms and conventions of a typical publishing music magazine by using a 'black and white' feature to my front cover and double page spread, something which is not typically done, especially in a music magazine. I found it particularly difficult to find some sort of real media evidence to support this decision, especially the front page where a male model was used. The double page spread was slightly easier to find evidence to support my design decision, although this is a rather risky design to take, however, the strength of my double page image hopefully ensured the final look was striking and therefore successful in the music magazine industry.
Another feature I tried to ensure conformed to the generic forms and conventions of real media products was the magazine layout because I wanted my magazine to look as professional as possible. I tried to ensure the layout of each page was clear and uniform meaning the overall look was easy to read. A form and convention magazines use is the rule of thirds, something I tried to use in my own designs, particularly in the contents page as I wanted the overall appearance to be well organised and succinct meaning it is easy to view.

make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif

make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif

make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif





No comments:
Post a Comment