Friday, 21 December 2012

Music Magazine: Front Page Title Implementation


Now that I have decided on my magazine name, 'Inside' and also looked at some magazine fonts to gain inspiration, I must create my own font that will add interest and suit my magazine. I will use numerous fonts to experiment, through trial and error, in order to choose a suitable font appropriate for my magazine.

I began by selecting multiple fonts through InDesign to gather an idea of the multiple fonts which I could use when creating my title. I experimented with many different types of fonts, including serif and sans serif. I used mainly lowercase to begin with although I quickly established that I preferred the use of uppercase letters in my title. I originally used the colour black as this was clear and easy to see the difference in fonts. I selected my favourite fonts to take forward and experiment with.  

I narrowed my font selection down to a few designs and decided to add some  colour. I selected two fonts which had a smoother, sleeker finish compared to one which appeared to have a more jagged edge. I experimented with multiple colours, changing the fill colour and the outline. I decided I liked the darker colours such as the pink, red, blue and black. I decided to use the more 'messy' font to see what this would look like in the pink with a bold outline. I liked the idea of using a thick outline although I was unsure whether I wanted to use this font.
 


I compared the jagged font to a font which I also believed had potential as I liked the use of uppercase letters in the design. The first font is too messy and does not look like it would be used on a music magazine and therefore I decided against using it as my magazine font. The second font is a lot sleeker and looks professional. I could see this font being used on a music magazine. I decided to experiment with this font and change the height and spacing of the font. I changed the sizing of the 'in', making it smaller than the rest of the word. I created a noticeable difference in size without looking too awkward and disjointed. I decided to select this design but change the colour from pink to red and black, which I had previously liked when experimenting with other fonts.

I decided to use the font, 'Woodchuck' but I changed the outline to a bright red and the outline weight to 3pt. I changed the font fill to black as I believed both these colours were striking and would stand out from the page, therefore attracting the readers attention. The font has a quirky appearance, with the inside of the letters adding a more modern, informal look which relates well to the 'news/gossip/ element which the name was based on. This design reflects the magazine in a positive light, conveying the nature of the magazine, which is a effective marketing technique and the role of the magazine title. I am pleased with my design choice and will be incorporating it into the front page design.

No comments:

Post a Comment